So many people have no idea how to prepare homemade coconut oil. This article will however help you with that. And you can be sure it isn’t as difficult as you might have thought. Firstly, another name for coconut oil is Copra oil. It is an edible oil you extract from the kernel. Or from the meat of mature coconut as you harvest it from the coconut palm. In short, the oil comes from the nut (fruit) of the coconut palm. Evidently, harvesters use the oil of the nut to make medicine. Interestingly, some coconut products are referred to as “virgin” coconut oil. That is to say, the oil is unprocessed. For instance, that means the coconut oil is not refined or bleached.
Furthermore, you extract coconut through a dry or wet process. Due to the former, some coconut products claim to be “cold press” coconut oil. That is to say, they use a mechanical method to press out the oil. It is however without the use of any external heat source. Those in charge control the temperature. They do this so it doesn’t go beyond 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Also, this is because the pressure required generates heat naturally.
How to prepare Coconut oil
The recipe for this is pretty simple. Besides that, it has its advantages. For example, you have the oil at your disposal anytime you want. Another “pros” to this is that it is also very economical. That way you don’t have to spend so much anymore. There are several benefits to this. So, do learn how to prepare homemade coconut oil.
- Warm water
- Firstly, break the coconut with a heavy but blunt object. With the use of a knife, take out the coconut meat from the shell. And if the coconut is mature enough, the meat will come out easily.
- The next step is to rinse the pieces of coconut thoroughly. Then cut them into smaller pieces.
- Blend the coconuts with warm water till it becomes smooth. So you get the best result. Also, grind in batches depending on the quantity you desire.
- Afterwards, pour it in a sieve. This separates the coconut milk from the chaff. Then you press with your hands to squeeze out the last drop.
- In order to get more coconut milk, grind the chaff a second time. After that, use a sieve with a fine mesh to remove the tiniest particles from the coconut milk. Evidently, the coconut milk has several health benefits. And it can be used to make coconut ice cream.
- When you’re done, cover the bowl of coconut milk. And keep it in the fridge overnight.
The Latter Part of the Steps
- The coconut oil will separate from the water by the following morning. With that, the oil cakes beautifully on top. If that does not happen, the water may have a high chlorine content. You will have to do it again.
- Place the caked white coconut oil in a clean dry stainless steel pot. Moreover, the remaining water in the bowl still has some coconut taste. Apparently, it is still very useful. You can make Coconut rice or white rice with it.
- The next step is to cover the pot. Then you cook from low to medium heat. Make sure to reduce the heat to very low if you notice smoke while you cook.
- Keep an eye on the pot as you stir intermittently. Keep cooking till you notice some charred coconut bits in the oil.
- Stop cooking and let the coconut oil cool down to a cool temperature.
- When it cools down, sieve into a vial or plastic container. Use a chiffon cloth or cheesecloth to remove the charred bits. Sieve again with a paper towel if you notice more charred bits.
After all of these procedures, your coconut oil is ready for use. You can use it to cook. Further use includes your body and hair. Finally, store in a cool dry place. And use as you wish.